One day, I will learn that it is important to measure and mark and not just guess at things, when it comes to sewing.
Today was not that day.
Allen has a UC Berkeley shirt that he thought fitted too tightly (around the neck, and everything). So, he told me to fix it up to fit me! I mentioned last time that I had some success making a t-shirt smaller/more fitted. I found this awesome Cannondale shirt on sale at REI. It was like $15 I think. (this shirt!) I have a cannondale bike, and I LOVE it! So, I'm a big cannondale fan. Anyway, they only had an XL shirt, but I figured I could figure it out! So I traced another shirt over it, pinned it up, and ta-da! It now fits perfectly.
So this time, I was overly-confident. I used my cannondale as a template, and cut around it (leaving a little extra room). I pinned the edges, re-did the hems, and sewed in a little on each side.
Then I put it on. It, er, fits.. it's just a little tight. Plus, the sleeves are all wonky. Since the original shirt was much larger (and a men's shirt), the shoulder was really wide and down on my arm and now it's all sorts of confused-looking.
So now I have a tight-fitting, off-center shirt. ohhhh well. I'll probably do something else with it-- a bag, or something, maybe...
My next "real" project is a bag... I want it to be simple and functional enough I can throw things in it like a tote, but also cute enough that it can look like a purse. I have my eye on this one. Not too sure about the bow, but we'll see! I already know I won't print the templates and all that silliness...but I know I need to be mindful and measure things well and take some extra time to make sure it's right!