Thursday, August 25, 2011

New bike!

That's right-- a Cannondale Synapse 7.




Long story short, I'm in love.

I actually began researching this bike a while ago, after seeing it at REI.  It's nearly the same color as my car, which was also my main wedding color.  I really like the obnoxious blue.  So, naturally, I read reviews and looked into it, and decided it would be my next bike (I have a mountain bike, but wanted to get a road bike since I've been using it and treating it as a road bike).

So, on a leisurely walk to the neighborhood REI after work, imagine my surprise when it was marked down-- 25% off!!  I took it for a test ride, and I was hooked.  Since I was going to get it sometime in the near future anyway, we decided today was as good a day as any.  I am SUPER excited to go take it for a long ride tomorrow after work!

Growing up, I enjoyed biking, but it was more of a quick fun activity more than anything.  After 4 years at college without a bike, I was excited to get a bike and use it to work out, too.  Allen and I chose mountain bikes to ease into the biking word and see how we liked it.  Conveniently coinciding with watching the Tour de France, Allen and I dove into cycling-- and although our two Navaro bikes are great, our mountain bikes on the trail just weren't cutting it.

The allure of biking is hard to describe.  I used to be an regular runner (I've finally resigned myself to the fact that my body just isn't built for it; I was constantly getting injured and forced to limp around in pain after a run), but running is different.  I've found biking to be a wonderful release, and a great way to get in tune with my body.  Nothing compares to recognizing the power of my legs and connecting with the bike.  Just getting pedals and cleats on my old bike helped strength that connection, as did riding a track bike at the velodrome-- I began to learn how to not just use the bicycle as a tool to achieve a means (ride the bike, get from point A to point B, and get a workout it), but to work with the bicycle.

Does that sound cheesy?  Because it totally is.  But regardless, I am beyond excited to go take it out for a ride tomorrow.  Bring on those miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment