Monday, September 19, 2011

Protein "Cookies"

Life is busy!  Work is busy, weekends are busy... all in a good way, of course!  I keep thinking of things I want to post about, but haven't gotten around to it clearly.  So for now-- something quick!  Protein "cookies!"

Ok.  So I'm a big fan of protein.  As a vegetarian (ok, pescatarian, I now eat fish when necessary-- mostly to boost the protein, of course!), it's always a challenge to fit in the amount of protein I need/like.  I used to not really pay attention, and was getting "enough" protein, but once I decided to make a conscious effort to really up the protein, I noticed a huge difference.  I can tell when I need protein; lots of times I'm kinda hungry, but really, I can tell I really need protein.  I feel so much better, etc etc etc...  In any case, I also try to 1) widen the variety of protein choices, and 2) rely less on processed, "fake meat" (which I have for dinner, anyway).

Anyway, my breakfast must be two things: chock full of protein, low in sodium, and easy to eat on the go (since I eat breakfast late, at work).  I've been making eggs in the microwave and having yogurt, which is great, but it was time for something new.  So, these protein "cookies" were born!  (I call them "cookies" because i bake them in a muffin tin, but they're kind of a cookie-like consistency..but they certainly aren't normal cookies-- much heavier, which is perfect for breakfast with coffee).

The best part?  SUPER easy:

1/2 cup oatmeal
1 scoop protein powder
1/4 cup egg beaters
splenda and cinnamon to taste.

Mix.  Pat into muffin tins (break into 2 or 3).  Bake at 350F, for ~8 minutes.

SO GOOD.

Calories:  230
Protein:  23g
Carbohydrates: 29g
Fat:  2.5g

I'd like a bit more healthy fats, but oh well.  Other than that, how can you beat those stats?!  And like I said-- absolutely divine with coffee.  Yum.

Ok, I'm done salivating over breakfast.  It's certainly not the most exciting recipe ever, slightly dry and heavy which some people may not like, but I don't mind it.  I love coming up with new food combinations, and it's been a while.  My next quest?  Protein-full biscotti. Balance Bar makes an "almond biscotti" protein bar, which is pretty good.  But I want REAL biscotti, with lots of protein.  I'll have to give it a go sometime.

Any other fun, quick "recipes"?!  Cheap, quick, easy, nutritious...what's better?

No comments:

Post a Comment