Thursday, February 23, 2012

All-purpose Noodles!

Ok.  I make these noodles about once a week, so it's high time I post about it since I fail at posting in general.

Growing up, my mom made these noodles for homemade chicken noodle soup.  In fact, it wasn't until I older until I realized there was chicken noodle soup that came in cans-- which still sounds pretty gross to me.  No, the wonderful homemade chicken noodle soup my mom made was one of my all-time favorite meals growing up.

A couple months ago, I decided I wanted to try making the soup for Allen.  I had asked my mom for the noodle recipe a while ago, and wanted to finally put it to good use.  Of course, my husband is crazy and not a big fan of soup in general, so he asked if instead, I would make the noodles but just  make chicken fettuccine alfredo.  I had never had the noodles in anything other than soup, but hey-- why not?!

The end result?  FANTASTIC.  Allen loves these noodles, and I'm happy to know that these noodles work for anything.  I know nothing about making pasta, but I do know these noodles are delicious!  I suppose they're egg noodles, since they ingredients are basically just egg and flour, but they sure are tasty in just about anything!  Nice and hearty, they have a much different texture than pre-made dried noodles, but are super tasty and easy to make!

Recipe (original, from my mom):
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
  • Flour
1)  Mix eggs, baking power, salt and a little flour. 
2) Slowly add flour, until dough is stiff.

3) On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thick.

4) Cut dough into strips.

5) Cook in boiling broth for 20+ minutes.


Now, my own notes:

1)  "A little flour" is just a spoonful or so-- nothing critical.
2)  When I make these for alfredo, I use 2 eggs, rather than 3 (which makes enough for dinner and lunch for one person), and it takes maybe 2 cups of flour?  I don't measure-- just keep slowly adding and mixing it until the dough is stiff enough to roll out well.
3)  When my mom makes these noodles for chicken noodle soup, she makes them thick-- cut about 1/2" wide.  When I make them for fettuccine, I cut them to be maybe 3/8" wide.  After cooking, the noodles will get a little bigger, and you want them to have some substance (I've made them too thin before, and they just aren't as good because you don't taste them as much)
4)  For chicken noodle soup, place the noodles in the boiling broth.  For fettuccine, I start boiling some water with olive oil and salt right as I start cutting up the noodles, and cook them in that.
5)  I've found that the fastest and easiest way to cut the dough is to use a pizza cutter-- a knife just doesn't cut it as well.
6)  Check after 20 minutes, but I usually seem to cook them for longer.  Just a matter of preference.

Ok, so maybe it look complicated, but it really isn't.  I want to try them with spaghetti sauce, sometime, or even to make ravioli.  Yum!

2 comments:

  1. OH man! I used to make these noodles when I lived at home! Haven't made them since HS! I keep telling Chris I am going to make them.... then I never do. I really want to get the noodle attachment for my kitchen aid but it's like $200... Haven't wanted it THAT bad yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I want that attachment too...but yeah, I'm good with just using a rolling pin for now. :-P

    I waited such a long time before making them the first time, but Allen asks for them all the time now! Super easy, few ingredients, and delicious! Go for it :)

    ReplyDelete